Thursday, January 17, 2008

Frogs predict rain

In a post only a few days ago I showed images of massive amounts of foam produced by frogs for the purpose of protecting their eggs. This lowland area was wet but there was no water under the bridge. Since that time it's rained a lot and I wondered what happened to the foam nests and the eggs in them. Some people are natural researchers. Ginger is one of them. She did the research and then sent me some links, which explained most of what I wanted to know about the subject. The most surprising facts, as far as I'm concerned, is that tadpoles hatch from the eggs in as few as three days. With the advent of rains and rising waters, the tadpoles simply swim off, as they like to do. Not to simplify things too much, I wonder if the frogs might have some innate ability to predict rain. Those foam nests I showed were produced about three days before the rains started. Coincidental?

No comments: