Sunday, January 20, 2008

Eimar Franco, continued

Here's a closeup I took of Sr. Eimar this morning. He's recuperating from a fall that's kept him closer to home these days. Eimar is author of O Tapajós Que Eu Vi (Memórias), which I consider to be the best book ever written on life on the Tapajós River last century. The literal translation of the title is: The Tapajós that I saw (Memoirs). A better translation is The Tapajós I Knew (Memoirs). The book was published in Santarém in 1998, by Instituto Cultural Boanerges Sena. My copy of the book was given to me by Hélcio Amaral, who was Secretary of Culture for the Municipality at that time. There's so much to say about Sr. Eimar, but my interest here is not history, but flora of the region. I wish someone would translate his book into English. It's a real treasure!

No comments: