Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wetness prevails

I might complain about the lack of access to local destinations because of the seasonal rains, but I'll never bitch about the wetness. The more rain, the better, as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of rain during our long dry seasons that worries me most. I figure that the Amazon will survive quite well with excessive rains, but the lack of wetness could destroy our environment. Global warming promises to convert tropical forests into tropical savanna in the next few decades, according to all scientific research. Let it rain! Image: The soybean elevators at Cargil lurk over the Tapajós River as though they were giant water birds looking for a fish dinner. The zoom picture was taken from the inside of my car parked at the Santarém Municipal Marketplace - during a tropical downpour.

1 comment:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

It certainly seems to be a rainy season there. It's going to be interesting to see what changes the earth undergoes with global warming. I probably won't be here to see it though.