Saturday, March 08, 2008

Pajurá-pedra

This blog is dedicated to tropical biodiversity and there seems to be no end to it. If I lived for another hundred years, I'm sure I wouldn't learn everything there is know about even Bosque Santa Lúcia, an area of only 110 hectares. The fruit in the image is a good example of that complexity. About the time I was ready to leave the Bosque to take Valdely Kinupp down to the Amazon River to catch his riverboat to Óbidos, Cleuson mentioned that there appeared to be a different kind of pajurá down the road near the soccer field. Fast as lightening Valdely grabbed his camera and tripod and he and Cleuson were gone. In less than an hour they were back with another kind of pajurá I had never seen before. Valdely called it pajurá-pedra (Parinari excelsa), which translates into stone-pajurá. They did seem much harder than the common pajurá I've shown on this blog several times. Maybe because they were still green!

No comments: