Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pajurá de Óbidos, continued


The readers of my blog, Tropical Biodiversity - The Amazon, will remember that I was concerned about whether a pajurá de Óbidos (Pouteria speciosa) seed would germinate. It was the second of two seeds I received from a collector of rare fruit trees. The first seed had germinated long ago but the one in question didn't seem to be making it. Then I discovered that I had placed the seed upside down. Real smart! Turning it over, it began to show signs of splitting a few days later. Then came some green as it germinated! A few days ago Cleuson placed the seedling into the ground and as you can see in the lower image, it's doing quite well. Seed in the upper image.

5 comments:

João Soares said...

Dear Steven and wife
Fabulous, faboulous work here.
Abraços de Portugal

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

That's great news! Easy enough to make a mistake like that when it's something new!

Steven Winn Alexander said...

Joao, many thanks for looking at my blog. I am pleased to find your blog too. I'll be following your posts.

Sandpiper, yeah, I was happy as a fly on you know what.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I did read that previous blog and am pleased to know of this success. :)

jublke said...

I've heard of animal eggs having "this end up" (I believe I was watching a program where the scientists were relocating crocodile eggs), but I didn't realize that the same could hold true for seeds.

Very interesting ... maybe I'll blog about this topic sometime. :) Glad to hear that your rare tree finally grew!