Sunday, September 07, 2008

Muiratinga, continued

A few posts back I talked about the muiratinga tree (Maquira sp.) and the oddity of fallen branches from the tree. I attached an image of a caruara (the oddity) next to the trunk of the tree. I didn't realize at the time that the two would blend into one and the same because of the the fungi on both. Today I present another image of caruaras in a different setting. As a matter of fact, the two objects in the image aren't from the muiratinga tree next to the Bosque reception center. They are part of a wood collection at the center, pieces which have been around for a few years. I don't remember where they came from, but maybe from people who insist on playing jokes on newcomers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The right name in Portuguese is CARUARA, and is usually give to brides in wedding day,as a present.