Thursday, September 11, 2008

Boa constrictor

The baby boa constrictor in the image took me by surprise this morning. It was right in the middle of the dirt road that runs through Bosque Santa Lucia; and I almost stepped on it. I was looking for some mystery survey markers on one side of the road, thus the distraction. After the initial scare, I got the impression that the snake was dead because I didn't see its head. That turned out to be the case. "A good snake is a dead snake" is the local mentality here. I assume someone killed it intentionally, or ran over it. Well ...

4 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A beautiful snake and such a pity that someone killed it!!

dr.r said...

and even if they killed it they could have eaten it! has good meat and it would not decompose without use...

Steven Winn Alexander said...

> Dr. r, fear not it'll be eaten! The vultures will see to that.

Anonymous said...

It is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Epicrates cenchria. You doubtless also have Boa constrictors there as well.