Thursday, September 04, 2008

Cicadia, continued


Over the years, I never remember seeing so many discarded cicada skins, if that's the right word. They're everywhere. I haven't seen that many live ones, but the forest rings with the sound of them. I've probably said it before and I'll say it again, it's amazing how those creatures get out of that outside skeletal skin. In both images you can see the open area on the back where they emerge. And they leave a perfect image of themselves behind, including legs and even eyes. What a way to start all over!

1 comment:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I think it would be wonderful if we could get out of our old wrinkled skins and into a nice new one. LOL!! I have never been able to take a photograph of one emerging although I know someone who managed it recently. What luck!! I have a whole chorus of frog outside my window tonigh so I guess I am going to have a great nights sleep as I will think I am back in the bush. I miss them and the crickets.