Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tapajós, continued

I'm sorry to say that I didn't get one picture of the invited guests and the wonderful food served to us. I was feeling a bit zeroed out from all the adventures of getting to party. Then too, I had to get some food in my stomach and rehydrate myself with plenty of cold beer. After this, off I went to take some pictures of the place our hosts call the maloca (roundhouse). What impressed me the most was the number of beehives I found on the premise. Dona Eunice Sena, who coordinates the project, told me that they have more than a hundred hives of the non-stinging variety of bees. The ones with stingers are kept further out into the woods. Check out some of these hives.

2 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You have my deepest sympathy because you had to rehydrate yourself with beer. Poor fellow!! LOL!! As they say, it is a tough life but somebody has to do it. :)

Steven Winn Alexander said...

Well, what can I say? I would have drunk water, but one can't trust sources of water away from home. It's a real sacrifice to drink cold beer (especially if another person is paying for it) but what the hell? It does the job.