Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Antlions

It's been awhile since I've seen antlion traps. Going to Friar Leão's birthday party on the beaches of the Tapajós River a week ago required that we drive through tropical savanna country, which features sandy soils. The unfamiliar driver can get lost on unmarked side roads and they can also get stuck, especially if they don't have a four-wheel drive vehicle. And that's exactly what happened to us. To make matters worse, we had a flat on the front-right tire. While my friend, Alipio went for help, I took advantage of the situation to look around the "desert", where I found these antlion traps. So as not to reinvent the wheel, I provide a link that describes the antics of these insects. There must be a better way to make a living!

1 comment:

dr.r said...

I know of some peopel here that collect cacti and also keep antlions in their greenhouses.
seems to work good. as kid i often found these traps in woods around.