Monday, December 31, 2007

In memoriam, animal friends

I used this image some months ago to show what happens when a dog messes with a porky pine. The quills say it all! Animal vs. animal is one thing. Animal facing man is another situation altogether. I always say that the smartest animals in the forest, or elsewhere, don't have a chance against the dumbest of men with guns in their hands. My little friend took a liking to me and the Bosque, even though she belonged to my closest neighbor. She wasn't much more than a rack of bones after she gave birth to a litter of puppies and I always brought left-over food and rations from home to help her along. I had gotten used to her being around the reception center, so I noticed her absence one day. A large flock of black vultures feeding on a dead animal on the side of the road was the tipoff. I asked Cleuson if he knew anything. Indeed he did. I still don't know the details, but the dog had eaten 10 duck eggs, which warranted her execution. I would imagine that it was the owner of the farm who gave the orders, but I don't know for sure. So it goes in the jungle!

No comments: