Saturday, August 04, 2007

Goggle-eyed insect

I see this insect on the outside walls of the reception center from time to time. It's quite small, maybe no more than an inch long and it's solitary. I've never seen more than one at a time. What distinguishes it, at least for me, is the head, which can gyrate in all directions without having to move its body. In addition, the very funny goggle eyes have the same attributes. In the image you can see the eyes looking up at me, right from the top of its head!

1 comment:

GingerV said...

His coloring is exactly the same as the wood he is on.
About 3 years ago I had an encounter with a yellow (literally bright yellow/white head/big round black eyes) crab on the beach in Rio. His black eyes and his head swiveled around full circle so he could watch me watch him.