Friday, August 31, 2007

Coração de Negro

It's probably not by coincidence that yellow is one of the Brazilian national colors. The yellow of gold, yes, but also the many yellow blooming trees found throughout the country. There are several of these in the Santarém region, including coração de negro (Chamecrista negrensis), a tree found in the backyard of the Bosque reception center. I should say trees because there are many of them in the immediate vicinity. They are heavy bloomers, making for a carpet of yellow underneath the trees. When I look at one of these trees, I remember two details. One being the yellow flowers and the other being the extremely hard wood. A few years ago I lightly injured my right hand trying to cut through the trunk of one that had fallen. The axe didn't fair any better. Next image, the wood.

No comments: