Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mangosteen IV

Yes, I'm the owner of a small forest reserve called Bosque Santa Lúcia, which is located on the outskirts of Santarém on the Tapajós and Amazon Rivers. No, I'm not a botanist, biologist or forester. I don't have any professional qualifications for classifying trees and plants but I've learned a few things from people who are in the know and I accept all the help I can get. One person who continues to help me sort through unknowns is Claúdio Serique, owner of the Cultura Inglêsa, the school of English with the British bent. He and his wife are very active in the Orchid Society of Santarém, as mentioned in other posts on orchids. Claúdio took on the challenge of researching the question of mangosteen presented in earlier posts. He thinks that our so-called mangosteen is probably one called the "fake mangosteen", Garcinia cochinchinensis. Good, at least I got the genus right. More comments welcome. I've included another image of the seeds I removed from the fruit.

No comments: