Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tatajuba III

In the attached image off to the left you can see an immature fruit of the tatajuba tree and rotting ones to the right. Tatajuba trees (Bagassa guianensis) get to be very large trees growing to heights of 40-50 meters and they are capable of producing loads of fruit. I suppose they are edible but I've never known anyone to collect them for food. For seeds, yes. I love tatajuba fruit because they attract the large blue morpho butterflies belonging to the genus Morpho. Several species are found at the Bosque, including the iridescent blue ones. On a bright sunny day I keep a close look at the trail ahead of me when nearing a tatajuba tree. Nothing is more exciting than seeing several morphos feasting on fermented tatajuba fruits.

3 comments:

Ali Ambrosio said...

I am so glad I discovered your blog.

I traveled to Santarem twice, once in 1997 and again in 1999 on my way to Belem from Roraima. I have wonderful memories of both stays in the city.

I love the focus on the flora and fauna in the region. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

In America, this plant is commonly called an Osage Orange, and grows from Texas to Ohio.

Steven Winn Alexander said...

Osage orange? Are you sure? The scientific name is different than tatajuba.