Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mangosteen III

When I opened one of the fruits today, I was surprised to see that the seeds are quite large in comparison to the size of the fruit segments. I sucked the pulp away from the seeds and another surprise! The fruit is much sweeter and less acid than I remember it from a few years ago. It may be that I ate fruit not totally ripe. This one was ripe and right on. The other fruits I had collected for photographing two days ago were overripe and not fit for eating. The tree from which I picked the fruit belong to my former neighbor at the Bosque. He used to work at a small airport nearby as watchman and it was there that he came by the original fruit and seeds, brought in from a Japanese fruit farm in the souther part of the State.

2 comments:

DrKong said...

In Malaysia we called it Manggis Hutan or Jungle Mangosteen. Its yellowish in color right? Soem may taste sweeter and some might taste sour.

Anonymous said...

Desculpe-me, li debaixo para cima. É como eu disse: é bem doce.
Realmente, um dos segmentos não tem sementes. As minhas, acho que estavam muito maduras, porque as cascas eram rochas e a polpa bem branca, ou sera uma outra espécie?

Nice