Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ixora

This is a very popular plant around Santarém and the region. Strange as it may seem, I've never heard of a local name for it. The genus is Ixora, it's an exotic and there are a number of different species. The most common here is the red blooming, as depicted in the attached image. I assume this one to be Ixora coccinea. There are a number of English common names, for example, Flame of the Woods, Jungle Flame and so on. I have both the red and yellow varieties at the Bosque but not many of them. Some gardeners do a mix of the two plants, the result being a show of red and yellow together. In this case, it appears that the flowers are coming from the same plant. Now that I know that butterflies and hummingbirds like the flowers, I plan on planting more.

No comments: