Friday, April 06, 2007

Mariri (Banisteriopsis caapi) vine

I have no personal experience in concocting or drinking the tea described on the previous post for chacrona (I have seen the spelling as "chacruna") but I understand that the brew, which some people refer to as ayahuaska, is a combination of the chacrona leaves, plus the Banisteriopsis caapi vine. The common name of the vine is mariri. I guess either one separately produces hallucinogenic effects but the traditional ayahuaska drink calls for both plants. The Banisteriopsis vines in the attached image were given to me by Pierre, my Swiss friend, the source of the chacrona plant described earlier in this blog. There were several cuttings, all of which have all taken root. In the next few days I'll be putting them in the ground close to trees, where they can climb and grow to be big vines.

No comments: