Monday, July 21, 2008

Save that caterpillar

Just yesterday we made a stop at Bosque Santa Lúcia, mainly to satisfy the curiosity of local friends. I'm always a bit apprehensive when taking friends to the Bosque because I never know how much they will appreciate the place, or not appreciate it. On the otherhand, when I conduct tours with clients, I know exactly what their expectations are and I know how to satisfy their needs for an ecological experience. I had hardly opened the reception center when my friends spotted the caterpillar you see in the image. It was slowly climbing up the side of a chair on the back porch. Immediately one of the guests brought it to my attention and quickly removed one of his sandals to kill it. I pleaded for the life of the little devil on the basis that it was a future butterfly, and besides, I wanted to take a picture of it. Eventually I was able to remove it to the edge of the forest where nobody would see it. Obviously I got a lecture on how dangerous caterpillars can be, as though a gringo wouldn't know about these things. All ended well. The caterpillar got away alive, I got a picture of it and my guests had a good time.

3 comments:

GingerV said...

I have a photo somewhere in my 250 GB external drive of a catapilar simular to this - taken in Phoenix Az.

Anonymous said...

How grotesquely beautiful!

The human desire to immediately kill any "bug" encountered - especially when visiting their realm such as the Amazon - defies all logic.

Steven Winn Alexander said...

> Ginger, wow! Sounds like you got a generator on your camera. That's a lot of space. What kind of camera are you using?

> Ted, amazing isn't it? There used to be a very beautiful garden snake living in the debris of the acai palms. One day I found it dead. Someone couldn't resist killing a snake. It's the automatic thing to do here.