Friday, July 04, 2008

Pineapples, continued

One of the best places to buy pineapple in Santarém is at the Mercadão 2000 market place. Starting this time of the year, there are truck loads of the fruit available for buyers. Cold sliced pineapples and pineapple juice are favorites for Santarenos, and visitors too. In the background, that lady in red pants is our friend Dona Joana. She is one of the best cooks around and obviously knows how to select the best foods. The huge white sack on the ground in front of Joana is a sack for planting trees. It came from California, a present from our friend, Marina Duncan. The idea didn't catch on here, so I used it as a shopping bag. I have to admit that many people stare at me as I carry this thing around at the market place. If nothing else, it's a good conversational piece to bring up the subject of planting trees.

1 comment:

GingerV said...

as far as I am concerned the very best fruit in Brasil is the pineapple. sold by venders along the street in Rio and in Friburgo/Mury, I always buy several a week during season. They are firm and sweet - the very best.
I also like to twist off the top / pull off several layers of leaves / put into a glass of water and wait for the roots to grow, then I put them in a pot or in the ground - they do not grow fruit up here but do grow pleasant shaped plants which are a pleasant change in texture and color in the garden.