Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tento

On placing this image, I need to make it clear that I'm not a forester. And no, I'm not a botanist. I'm only interested in these things and there are times when I get into pissing contests with others who are likewise not professionally qualified to identify certain trees. Having samples of leaves and seeds make a case. The hard, red seed in the image is called tento. It's used by everyone in the arts and crafts industry as a favorite for making necklaces, bracelets and other jewelry and decorations. But ... biodiversity being what it is here in the Amazon, there are many different kinds of tento trees. Some produce red seeds in different sizes and formats. Some produce black and red seeds. And so it goes. I'll keep these leaves and seeds around to compare with others, as I find them.

No comments: