Saturday, October 06, 2007

Bug on bird droppings

I discovered this insect on a leaf that was partially covered by what appears to be bird droppings. What got my attention was the fact that it was presumably eating this material. It took a lot of work because the droppings were totally dried up from the summer sun and dust. The insect wasn't at all bothered with me taking pictures. It seemed to be scratching the feces off with what I thought was one of its front legs. As I watched it more closely, I came to the conclusion that it was probably the proboscis, assuming it has one. Notice the large hole in the leaf. I wonder if our friend was responsible for that deed? Maybe not because from what I could see, it was only scrapping off the droppings. If you want a better look, click on the image.

No comments: