Monday, July 27, 2009

Longhorned beetles, continued

As Áurea and I walked towards the reception center at Bosque Santa Lúcia, we saw and heard a branch from one of the trees fall to the ground. "Another dead branch fell", Áurea said. "Nope, it was a live branch", I retorted. A long-horned beetle had just gnawed through a branch of a coração-negra tree (Chamecrista negrensis). As you can see in the attached image, the branch of the tree was quite large. I wonder how many hours it took the long-horned beetle to make the cut? I looked for some sign of the beetle, but to no avail. It probably stayed up in the tree on the other end of the limb. Nothing dumb about a beetle!

4 comments:

Jason said...

This is a wonderful site! You are spreading the message so efficiently! I have a blog which is similar like yours. I was wondering if we could exchange links because we all need to stick together and spread our messages. Let me know!

Jason

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

My goodness but that is neat Steven. Do you know if they burrow into the center where the wood is soft once they have taken off a branch like this?

dr.rankenstein said...

that is an absolut fantastic story!

Unknown said...

I cant exactly understand it..

shobin
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step