Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cocoon



I found this cocoon very interesting in more than one way. First of all, it was attached to a board on the ground next to a small wooden house we recently constructed. The roof of house extends out from the walls about 50cm, so it was more or less protected from any possible rain. I have no idea what material was used to build the cocoon. It looks very much like fiberglass filaments. After taking the first photograph (lower image) I lifted the cocoon from the board. It was empty. Whoever had occupied the neat little womb, had left. In the top image, the space inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed looking at your blog. My family and I have lived in Belem for 2 years. I was looking for names of some of the flowers in our yard when I came across you blog.

I have a question. Do you have a good website or book for finding the names of plants and flowers from this region? We have so many in our yard that we can't find names for. I have asked a few Brazilians and few of them know the names of flowers.

Thanks for the blog we will be reading it often.

Steven Winn Alexander said...

Palmeiras Brasileiras e Exóticas Cultivadas , Lorenzi

One of Lorenzi's books. There are others on trees, flowers, plants, etc. Google him. Sao Paulo, I think. Most of his books are available in English too.

Our younger son lives in Belem. My wife's family lives there too.

Cheers.