Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A new character

I know, I know! This image isn't in focus, but I couldn't do better under the circumstances. My camera is about ready for the recycling bin. Nevertheless, I found this small insect so intriguing, so different than any other I've ever seen, I couldn't resist sharing with my readers. Check out the turquoise colored gloves and boots! And those tattoos? Click on the image for an enlargement. This is the first time I've seen this character at the Bosque, but I hope it won't be the last.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I'm guessing broad-nosed weevil (family Anthribidae), but I've never seen such a colorful example. Extraordinary.
regards--ted

Unknown said...

Very interesting! About how large is this character?

GingerV said...

This is fantastic, even the antennae are turquoise. His nose is shaped like a rhinoceros.

Arlo Hemphill said...

This is some kind of weevil and I have one very similar in color in the Mache-Chindul mountains of western Ecuador.